In early 2020 the NSW Teachers Federation commissioned an independent inquiry into the work of teachers and principals and how it has changed since 2004.
The expert panel that conducted the independent inquiry was chaired by Dr Geoff Gallop, former WA Premier and Education Minister. The other panel members were Dr Tricia Kavanagh, former Justice of the NSW Industrial Court and Deputy President of the NSW IRC and Patrick Lee, former Chief Executive of the NSW Institute of Teachers.
The panel received more than 1,000 submissions from teachers and schools. Submissions were also made by professional bodies, academics, economists and education experts. Two rounds of public hearings were held with experts and teachers.
- Fact sheet: summary
- Fact sheet: workload
- Fact sheet: salaries
- Show your support for action on the recommendations (online form)
- Show your support for action on the recommendations (PDF)
- Collective voices from the field will speak volumes to inquirers
- Schools give their voice to teaching inquiry
- Teaching is more complex, but not matched by pay
- Inquiry head makes plea to school teachers to tell their stories
- Valuing the teaching profession — An independent inquiry