Casual and Temporary Teachers
Alignment of casual teacher pay periods
For many years casual teachers were paid on the alternate week to their temporary and permanent colleagues. From January, 2017 pay cycles for casual teachers will align with those of temporary and permanent teachers. This will result in a change to the pay cycle and pay day for casual teachers from the first pay period of 2017.
The following will apply to casual teachers from January 2017 when the new pay cycle begins:
- From January 2017 pay periods will end on a Thursday and all approved claims will need to be submitted by close of business Friday,
- If claims are submitted on time casual teachers will be paid the following Thursday - some teachers may receive their pay on Wednesday depending on their financial institutions, and
- Late claims submissions (after close of business Friday and onwards) will not be guaranteed to make the normal pay run and this could affect the date the teacher is paid.
If casual teachers have any concerns regarding claims which may have been submitted after close of business on the Friday of the pay cycle they should ring EDConnect on 1300 32 32 32.
Information about the changes should be communicated from the Department to casual teachers during December and January.
Click here for a full list of the casual teacher pay days for 2017.
Management Committee Meeting
Recently Federation had an inquiry concerning part time teachers’ access to mandatory training on School Development Days (SDD). Click here to view the response from the Department's Director, Industrial Relations.
There are specific references to temporary part time teachers and casuals.
Casual & Temporary Teachers Handbook
The Casual and Temporary Teachers Handbook has been produced by the NSW Teachers Federation as a guide for members working as casual or temporary teachers in NSW Public Schools.
If you are a member then please login. If you can't remember your password then please contact the Federation on 1300 654 363 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are not a member then you can access this handbook by joining the Federation online.
- Aboriginal Education
- Casual and Temporary Teachers
- Central Schools
- Corrective Services
- Distance Education
- Future Teachers
- Future Teacher Scholarships
- HSC Markers
- New Teachers
- OCAA - Non School Based Teachers
- Rural Handbook
- Salary Rates
- Small Schools
- TAFE Teachers
- Workplace Committees