In this report, the Safe Schools Coalition Australia (SSCA) was analysed in comparison to other models of support for same-sex-attracted (SSA), intersex and gender-diverse students in Singapore, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
Safe Schools Coalition Australia is a national coalition of schools dedicated to creating safe and inclusive learning environments for SSA, intersex and gender-diverse students, school staff and families.
Through comparisons between various models and interviews with experts, educators and key stakeholders, this report will provide details and evidence that demonstrate which strategies and ideas work best and which do not.
This report will look at:
- state and federal recognition of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer students, teachers and children of same-sex families in school settings
- strategies and policies of support and change
- the actual active implementation of programs in schools
- teacher training and professional development opportunities and strategies
- funding models
- incorporation of safe policies. An integral part of this report was interviewing teachers, education experts, same-sex families and families with children who identify as SSA, intersex or gender-diverse. This provided great insight into the effectiveness of the various strategies and programs in place.
Click here to download full report.