Union history takes centre stage at council

Pieces of Federation’s history held prime position at the Council meeting held on Saturday, the first during the union’s centenary year.

The table and chair commissioned for the lecture theatre in Federation’s original building in Phillip Street, Sydney, have been restored to their former glory, as a centenary project. They were first used at the official opening of Federation House on 21 December 1938.

On Saturday, the General Secretary and President presided over the Council meeting from the vintage furniture.

In March 1939 Decoration and Glass (March 1939) described the bespoke furniture in a feature article on Federation House: “On the stage is an inlaid Queensland maple desk, designed in streamline mode with rounded corners and stepped up centre-piece. Leather upholstered maple chairs are in keeping.”

The crest on the front of the table is not the same as the one Federation uses today. This is because in 1938 the union was known as the NSW Public School Teachers Federation (Annual Conference 1946 made the decision to change to the current name).