Federation is proud to endorse, support and promote the 2022 Palm Sunday Rally for Peace and Refugees, to be held on Sunday, 10 April, 2pm at Belmore Park, Sydney, adjacent to Central Station. A march to Victoria Park will follow, leading off at 3pm.
The rally’s theme, Talk Peace: War Creates Refugeesâ€, carries five main messages for action:
- End mandatory detention and offshore processing
- Permanent visas, not poverty
- Talk peace not militarism
- No to racism
- Justice for refugees.
Guest speakers will include Federation’s Senior Vice President Amber Flohm. For more information on the event click here.
The rally comes at a critical time given current world events and the ongoing plight of refugees and asylum seekers. War displaces millions of people and creates refugees. Those who are seeking refuge in Australia deserve our humanity and compassion.
In the context of a looming federal election, the rally will demand that the Australian Government’s continued policies of detention and torture of refugees ends. Australia is obligated by the United Nations Convention to protect those seeking asylum and despite continued national and international condemnation, the inhumane treatment of asylum seekers and the vilification of refugees in our communities continues.
Federation holds significant policy that states mandatory detention is not only an unfair and unjust way to treat refugees but is also cruel to those who legally seek our protection.
As public school and TAFE teachers, we see the effect that such traumatic events and experiences have on children and their families. This trauma is further exacerbated by the current Government’s cruel detention policies and the insecurity of temporary visa categories, which continue to be a barrier to genuine settlement.
With the war in Ukraine causing senseless death and destruction and the tensions between the US and China continuing to rise, countries including Australia are engaged in an escalating trade war and military rivalry. The danger of rising conflict and even nuclear war is escalating. Conflict tears families apart; reuniting them must be a priority.
Show your support
- Advertise the Palm Sunday Rally for Peace and Refugees in schools and workplaces
- Attend the rally, ensuring that the NSW Health guidelines for a COVID-safe event are followed
- Tell the Government it’s time to end its cruel policies and the mistreatment of refugees via social media
- Tell the Government it’s time for a fair and just refugee policy that maintains the health, dignity and respect for all who seek our country’s protection.